Welcome to our new web site!

To give our readers a chance to experience all that our new website has to offer, we have made all content freely avaiable, through October 1, 2018.

During this time, print and digital subscribers will not need to log in to view our stories or e-editions.

McKenzie Police Reports

9-11-18 Edition


Assault — Saturday evening, September 8, Dion Teague of McKenzie came to the police department and reported he was being chased by two males.

According to a report by Officer Mark Boaz, Teague stated he had been chased from Little General to City Hall by two males in a gray GMC truck. He told police that one of the males told him to come to his truck and he took off running and the man began chasing him on foot then went back to his truck and chased him to city hall.

Teague advised that he had cut his arm, wrist, and leg due to him running through yards and jumping their fences. He stated that he was afraid if they had caught him he would have to fight. The incident remains under investigation.

Dog Bite/Dogs at Large — On Wednesday afternoon, September 5, Officer Jeremiah Brooks responded to a dog attack call on Barksdale Avenue. According to his report he spoke with Steven and Barbara Matlock who were walking their dogs on Leslie Street when a German Shepard came up and started fighting with one of their dogs. Mr. Matlock stated while trying to separate the dogs, he was bitten on his left ankle and his wife was bitten on her leg. They were not sure which dog bit them during the incident. He did state that he pepper-sprayed the German Shepard. The incident remains under investigation.

Violation of Probation/Criminal Trespass/Theft — A McKenzie woman was arrested Wednesday evening, September 8 after police were advised she in violation of a ban notice from the McKenzie Housing Authority. According to a report by Officer Trey Boucher, he located Gina Alas on Walnut Circle and placed her under arrest for criminal trespassing. An inquiry also revealed she was wanted in Wilson County for violation of probation and was additionally charged. Alas was later charged with theft under $1,000 after a citizen turned in a Playstation PS3 and Playstation PS2 that he stated had been given to him by Alas. He knew it to be stolen from a Magnolia Avenue residence. Investigation confirmed these items had been stolen from the residence two months earlier.

Theft — Michael Annis reported to police Friday, September 7, that fraudulent charges showed up on his bank account. According to a report by Officer Brandon Leek, Annis showed him a purchase made at Pocket’s and a couple of hours after that purchase $120 was taken from his account via ATM. Annis stated neither he nor his wife made this transaction. Incident remains under investigation.

Theft — According to a report by Officer Billy King, he responded to a shoplifting call from Pockets on Saturday, September 8. King observed video of a unidentified white female taking two 5-hour energy drinks without paying for them. The clerk told King the female left in a black car bearing a New York license tag. Bethel University Security was notified to see if they had that tag in their database in case it was a student. Bethel reported that they did not have that tag on file in their system.

Vandalism — McKenzie police responded to a potential dumpster fire at the National Guard Armory last Wednesday morning, September 5. According to a report filed by Dalton Raspberry, he and two other officers investigated and did find a dumpster fire. It appeared someone was burning something and then put it in the dumpster. McKenzie Fire Department was dispatched and extinguished the fire. Republic Services, owner of the dumpster, estimated $900 damage to the dumpster.

Vandalism — McKenzie police are investigating a possible break-in at the McKenzie Industrial Board office located in the old train depot. According to the report, Mrs. Monica Cravens Heath found damage to the trim and weather stripping of a door to the office on Friday morning, September 7. Heath advised everything was fine when she left, at 7:30 p.m. the previous night. She indicated she didn’t think entry was made into the building but did request extra patrols on the building. Damage was estimated at approximately $80.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment